Life is A Journey...Come Follow Our's

Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Great Flood of 2011

God sometimes answers our prayers in ways other than what we were expecting and that might be just what happened here in the Pope House.  Brad and I had been talking about remodeling our kitchen all summer.  I had even met with a designer and builder to draw up plans; however, the bid came in higher than what we were anticipating for less that what my dream actually way.  I had pretty much written off getting my new kitchen until a later date because I just don't want to go halfway in the project.  "If we're going to do it," I had told Brad, "we're going to do it right and do it right just one time."

Well, after a relaxing 10 days out of town, we pulled into the garage, Brad went to the house and I heard him say "OH NO...WATER!"  The response in my head was an enthusiastic "YES!!!"  I knew right away that I'd be getting my kitchen after all.  What we didn't realize right away was the extent of the damage.  The hot water hose to the dishwasher had broken and was spewing water for possibly as long as 9 days.  The kitchen, dining room, and a portion of the living room were drenched.  As it turned out, the basement bathroom was beyond repair and there was even water damage on the outside of our house.  The damage was so bad downstairs that the bathroom had to be stripped down to its studs, holes have been cut in walls, all our flooring has been removed in the kitchen, dining room, and a portion of the living room, and a portion of the ceiling downstairs has been cut out as well.

On top of that mess, we are hopefully the only people living in the 100+ degree temperatures of Arkansas with 24 heaters blowing hot air into our house (our living room area is typically around 90+ degrees while the bedrooms stay in the low 70s), have no usable kitchen, and have been busy arranging builders to come and look at our projects and make bids.

Remarkably, I am not stressed out at all.  I'm excited to get to remodel but for the short term, I'm really looking forward to being able to lay on my couch and watch tv.  In the meantime, Quinn and I have spent our days staying cool at the splash park, the library, the pet store, and at various kind friends' houses.  I have one week left of my summer vacation and I REFUSE to let something as minor as this prevent me from enjoying it!

Here's to flexibility and new kitchens!  If you see any good ideas for remodels, please e-mail them to me.  I can never have too much help in that area!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home