Life is A Journey...Come Follow Our's

Sunday, January 24, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

It seems to me that the traditional New Year's Resolution to get in shape isn't happening that much around Northwest Arkansas. The gym has been quieter than I remember it ever being at this time of the year but I have to admit, I'm okay with that. I love being able to still get in my workouts without fighting with anyone for a silly machine!

Since making a resolution to exercise doesn't really seem necessary for me, my resolution this year was to make 52 new recipes and try to branch out from my cooking comfort zone. So far, we have not had any flops though I'm sure over the course of 52 weeks, something is bound to not taste too good.

Week 1: Spinach Lentil Soup. I had never really eaten lentils before so I thought it would be a good vegetarian option to add to my repertoire. I was really surprised by how "meaty" lentils taste and am excited to try some more recipes that use them. The recipe I used this time was: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spinach-Lentil-Soup-2/Detail.aspx?prop31=2



Week 2: Pecan Crusted Tilapia. Can you believe I've never pan-fried fish before? Something about splattering oil always deters me from wanting to try, but was pleasanty surprised when I cooked up this recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/Pecan-Crusted-Tilapia-128799



Week 3: Spicy Black Bean Empanadas. When Brad and I went to visit Anthony in New York City last year, he took us to eat our first empanadas and we LOVED them. I didn't know at the time they were made with lard or I probably wouldn't have even given them a chance. I decided to scour the web for options other than lard and found that you can use puff pastry or pie crust (like either of those are much better for you) to get similar results. This recipe could use a little more spice (if you like things hot) but otherwise, it was really good: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spicy-Black-Bean-Empanadas/Detail.aspx?prop31=1



Up next: Baked Potato Soup, Apricot Chicken, and Ginger Steak Stir-Fry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home